Advanced Re-Certification Requirements (CTN-A)
|CTN-A Re-Certification Criteria
1. Hold a current, active, unrestricted RN License in a state or territory of the United States or the professional,
legally recognized equivalent in another country.
2. Hold a master’s, post-master’s, or doctorate in nursing, education, philosophy, or related field from a program
accredited by the Collegiate Commission of Nursing (CCNE or NLNAC) if the school is in the U.S.; or legally
recognized equivalent in another country.
3. Currently employed or self-employed in nursing, either full or part-time, at the time of application.
4. Completed at least one course (didactic and/or clinical) in cultural diversity and promotion of cultural competence
for a minimum of 3 credits (or equivalent of 42 Continuing Education Contact Hours/Units).
5. Completed 2400 hours of transcultural nursing practice as a registered nurse in administrative, teaching,
research, or clinical capacity, either full or part-time prior to submitting application.
Three of the five criteria listed below are required. The bulleted descriptions are meant as examples of
documentable activities, and are neither exhaustive nor all required to meet the particular criteria.
1. Evidence of professional growth in TCN
a. Attendance at classes, workshops, conferences
b. Conducting classes, workshops, and conferences
c. Accumulation of continuing education in TCN knowledge
2. Evidence of creative and innovative ways to promote and maintain TCN practice
a. Short summary of endeavors
b. Multimedia showing TCN practice in action
3. Evidence of research in TCN
a. Research projects or grants
b. Ongoing research, funded or community projects
c. Published materials
4. Evidence of substantive or unique contributions made to advance TCN
a. Community projects
b. Teaching and mentoring
5. Evidence of TCN leadership in teaching, research, or consultation to improve care in diverse cultures
a. Letters of support from students, employers, etc.
b. Letters from other nurses
c. Multidisciplinary leadership in programs, panel presentations, etc.
Click here to download re-certification materials.