Concurrent Session Presentations
|Concurrent Session Presentations: Saturday, October 21, 2017
|Breakout Panel Discussions (3)—Saturday, October 21, 2017
(8:30—9:30 am Presentations - 9:30—9:45 am Question/Answer)
Panel A – LGBTQ and Transcultural Nursing
Panel B –Social Determinants of Health
- Evaluating the Impact of a Long-Term Transitional Housing Center to Address Complex Issues Facing
Low-Income, Addicted, African American Women: Anne Dressel, PhD, CFPH, University of Wisconsin-
Milwaukee College of Nursing.
- Utilizing Data Mining, Zip Codes, Websites, and Other Resources to Educate Nurses About Health
Disparities in Culturally and Ethnically Diverse Populations: Mary Ann Durant, MSN, RN, M.Ed.; Theresa
Adams, Ph.D., MSN, RN; Vera Brancato, Ed.D., MSN, BSN, RN, CNE.
Panel C –Transcultural Nursing and the Nursing Workforce
- Diversity in Academic Faculty: A Purposeful Plan for a Culturally Diverse Nursing Workforce: Rosario
Medina, PhD, FNP-BC, ACNP, CNS, Assistant Dean of Graduate Nursing Programs/Associate Professor,
University of Colorado College of Nursing; Latina Brooks, PhD, CNP, Assistant Professor/Director, MSN
Program, Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing.
- Building the Foundation for Culturally Competent Healthcare Providers: Katherine Bydalek, MSN, FNP-
BC, PhD, University of South Alabama, Member Transcultural Nursing Society; Kelly Stauter, DNP, FNP-BC,
MSN, RN, University of South Alabama; Emily Sawyer Bentley, DNP, FNP-C, AGACNP-BC, University of South
- “Critical Culture Recognition: Applying Nursing Theory to the Delivery of Healthcare to
Underrepresented Populations”: Karen de la Cruz, PhD-C, RN, CTN-A, AACNP/FNP.
Concurrent Sessions—Saturday, October 21, 2017
Concurrent Session I - 10:00 am—10:45 am
- Measuring Intercultural Competence in Hospital and Clinic Nursing Staff: LuAnn Reif, PhD, RN,
Professor, College of St. Benedict/St. John’s University; Rachelle Larsen, PhD, RN, Chair and Professor,
College of St. Benedict/St. John’s University.
- You’ve got to love yourself”: PhotoVoice Stories from African Americans and Latinos Living with
Diabetes: Ninfa Peña-Purcell, PhD, MCHES, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service.
- Improving Population Health with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and Global
Citizenship Education: Connie Sobon Sensor, PhD, RN, CTN-A; Rutgers University School of Nursing,
Assistant Professor and Director of the School Nurse Program; Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society
of Nursing, Liaison to the United Nations. References
- Development of a Transcultural Model of Community of Healing: Edith Morris, PhD, RN, PPCNP-BC,
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center; Karen Burkett, PhD, RN, PPCNP-BC, Cincinnati Children’s
Hospital Medical Center.
- The Reproductive Health Experiences of U.S. Dwelling Somali Bantu Women: Kafuli Agbemenu, PhD,
MPH, MSN, RN, CTN-A.
Concurrent Session J—11:00 am—11:45 am
- When Care Meets Culture: Jennie Gunn, PhD, FNP-BC, CTN-A; GK Rikabi, DNP, FNP-BC; Linda Sue
Hammonds, DNP, APRN, PMHNP-BC, FNP-BC; Katherine Bydalek, MSN, FNP-BC, PhD; Beth Lincoln, MSN,
RN, NP, CTN-A; Warren Hebert, DNP, RN, CAE;
- Co-Cultural Communication Strategies of African American Women During the Clinical Encounter for
Depression Care: Cassie Wardlaw, MSW, MSN, PMHNP-BC; Donna Shambley-Ebron, PhD, RN, CTN-A.
- A Needs Assessment Among Those Caring for Non-English Speaking Pregnant Migrant Women in
Philadelphia: Alycia Ham, RNC-OB, DNP, WHNP-BC, CRNP.
- Correlates of Dominicans’ Identification of Cancer as a Worrisome Health Problem: Dr. Alsacia L.
Sepulveda-Pacsi, RN, DNS, CEN, CCRN, FNP.
2017 Conference Wrap Up & Closing 12:00—12:30 pm
2018 Conference Presentation
12:30 –12:45 Online Evaluations for Day 3 ~ END OF CONFERENCE~
*Please note that all handouts posted are the intellectual property of the presenter.
Any use of this material outside of the TCNS 43rd Annual Conference requires the permission of the presenter and the
Transcultural Nursing Society.